Argentina - Featured Destinations
Argentina Map and Guide
Welcome to this map and guide of Argentina in South America
. This Argentina map shows a growing collection of 360 panoramas and virtual tours taken around Argentina by various panoramic photographers. Simply select a pin on the map to begin exploring Argentina. View this map as either a street map, terrain map or as a satellite image of Argentina. Select the 'Earth' option to view it using the Google Earth plugin.
Argentina is the 8th largest country on Earth, and the second largest country in South America after Brazil
. The country covers an area is between the Andes mountain range in the west and the Atlantic Ocean in the east. It borders Paraguay and Bolivia to the north, Brazil
and Uruguay to the northeast, and Chile to the west and south. Argentina shows signs of human occupation dating back to 11,000 BC and the capital city today is Buenos Aires.
Argentina also has the highest and the lowest points of South America, with the tallest mountain in the Americas, Cerro Aconcagua (6,960m) and, at the other end, Salinas Chicas (40m below sea level). This diversity in geography means that Argentina has equally diverse climates, flora and fauna. Covering a vast longitudinal range, the climate varies from sub-tropical in the north to subpolar in the far south.
Argentina - Major Cities
Aside from Buenos Aires, other important cities in the country are Córdoba and Rosario, second and third largest cities. Mendoza, fourth largest, and San Juan both have a strong reputation for making good wine. La Plata, also known as 'the perfect city, and San Miguel de Tucuman, which is the largest city in the northwest.
Argentina - Major Tourist Attractions
Argentina is a very popular tourist destination, with people being attracted by both historic sites, language and culture and beautiful scenery. In addition to the cities noted above, other popular tourist attractions and destinations in Argentina include:
- Iguazú Falls - one of the great natural wonders of the world, and a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Nahuel Huapi National Park - stunning scenery in San Carlos de Bariloche, the honeymoon capital of Argentina
- El Calafate - within the Glaciers National Park popular for the advancing Perito Moreno Glacier
- Perito Moreno Glacier - star attraction of Glaciers National Park.
- Ibera Wetlands - 13,000 sqare km nature reserve which contains Colonia Carlos Pellegrini, an eco village.
- Skiing in the Andes - with Las Leñas and San Carlos de Bariloche among the best known ski resorts.
- Puerto Madryn and Peninsula Valdes Nature Reserves - visitors can see guanacos, rheas, penguins, sea lions, birds, and whales at certain times of the year
- Wine Tourism - Argentina produces many good wines, with Mendoza and Salta being popular wine producing regions in the country.